Sunday, January 25, 2009

January 25, 2009

I do not want to present an overly romanticized vision of this whole thing, as, for one thing, I am convinced that a more consistent pro-life ethic would allow us to be moved to wonder (and repentance) far more often.

But this morning, I caught a glimpse of Eden and the New Jerusalem as my son, Corbyn Davis Ryland was born at 7:56 a.m. He was 6 lbs. 3 oz., 20 in. long.

I was also profoundly aware of the already-but-not-yet nature of our current existence as I watched my wife labor (a term that I am now sure is a euphemism) to usher him into this world, and could not help but remember (employing the full Christian sense of the word) the woman I heard mourning the loss of her infant 10 weeks ago in a hospital chapel.

The moment was incredibly unspeakable.








5 comments:

Josh Kleinfeld said...

Congratulations my friend.

Welcome to the mysterious world of parenting, laden with ever-growing love and never-ending joy.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Wil and Amy. You have received a very precious gift from God and as always, I will keep you all in my thoughts and prayers.

Thomas (Murphy) Bridges said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Scott Savage said...

Okay, three pictures down . . . would that be Eden or the New Jerusalem? :) Congrats, man. I hope our kids know each other.

Wilson Ryland said...

Thank you all.

Scott - I wish the same thing, friend.